Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Jeans Get New Life

 
 
This is such a simple technique.  As you can see my the picture, my daughter has plenty of room in the waist.  You just have to love elastic and button waists.  Wish we would have had this when I was a kid.  To find waist and length to actually fit can be so difficult and trying of ones patience. 
 
1.  Had daughter try on her pants so she could tell me how long her shorts should be.  Then I snipped a little so I could do the actually cutting on my cutting mat.
2.  After cutting, run a zigzag stitch at the bottom edge.  (If I owned a serger, this would be a great place to use it.)
3.  Cuff the end to finish.  Iron with some spray starch.  Tack into place.
 
She is thrilled to have a few new shorts and it didn't cost me anything.  Altered these in less than 10 minutes.  This time she wanted the hem cuffed.  I've done this in the past with a ribbon trim and it looks adorable.  In fact, we saw a pair of bermuda shorts just like them with the ribbon trim for $40 in a store window.  My daughter was impressed; knowing we spent $2.75 on 2" wide ribbon.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment